Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Maid/Nanny for Baby - Part II

The search was a difficult one, time was running out and I had not yet found a nanny.
The nanny who was leaving, one day came with another lady, who said she needs work.
I thought why not, lets give it a try, I was desperate.

I decided on a transition period of about 10 days, where both will be taking care of the baby, with the old nanny doing KT (knowledge transfer, its the term we regularly use in our world :-)).
Even after spending 10 days, my daughter refused to go to the new nanny!
After the old nanny left, I decided to work from home for a few days, until my daughter adjusts to her.

A couple of days passed, and it was just not working out! My daughter would start crying if the new nanny tried to feed her, to put her to sleep etc. So I had to leave my work and go to her all the time, i was not really able to work from home.

It was a very frustrating time, I even thought of taking a sabbatical maybe and looking after my daughter myself.
But I knew it was not something I could really do, I cannot sit at home, and would surely get frustrated soon. Even in my maternity leave of 7 months, by the end of 4-5 months, i was itching to go out and have some space of my own.
Finally, I decided that the only way my daughter would get used to the nanny is by me getting out of the way. So one day, while she slept, i left for office, telling the nanny and my father-in-law to call me if she cries.
And what a day it was! I was constantly worried at work, looking at my phone every few minutes to see if there's a call. But what a surprise, there was none, my daughter stayed with the maid the whole day!!
And then from next day, i started going to office as usual and all was fine :-)

Since then, its been almost a year now with the new nanny, it has not been an easy journey. I have had to constantly monitor her actions, her cleanliness habits were clearly suspect, and her work not of the greatest quality.
There has been a lot of improvement now, and my daughter also enjoys with her, and learns marathi songs from her. Her favorite is "Chando mama chando mama bhaglas ka" which she asks me to sing every night when I put her to sleep. :-)



No comments: